Friday 19 February 2021

on keeping spiritually fit

One of the symptoms of ‘Long COVID’ that I’ve been learning to live with is a weakened left arm. The muscles ache when required to do the slightest thing, such as holding a cup of coffee. So I’ve been trying some weight-lifting exercises to build it up. It will come as absolutely no surprise to anyone that training weights are not something we possess in the vicarage, so I’ve had to improvise. The best thing I’ve found is a nice big heavy King James Bible. With my arm stretched out and the Bible balanced on the palm of my hand I raise and lower it a few times. Then I swing it a few times as if I was throwing a frisbee. 

Some might think this a frivolous use of a Bible, but the scriptures are all about exercise. Our daily devotions are a spiritual exercise that build up the muscle of our soul, better enabling us to live prayerfully and in tune with God. Breathing in the gospel each day helps us to breathe out the love of Jesus to those around us, and to grow more like him.

Like people who join a gym but seldom go, even although they know it is good for them, it is easy to get out of the habit of daily prayer and Bible reading. That’s what’s great about this season of Lent we find ourselves in. It’s an opportunity to redouble our efforts, set aside distractions, and focus anew on taking time alone with God each day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment